Thursday, March 17, 2011

Proper British Grub: Lemon Curd

I know, people. It's been about six weeks since my last post, and I'm sure you're all suffering from the loss of my witty diatribes. But try and put yourselves in my shoes-- I haven't eaten since that damn gumbo! It's been rough. But what better way to wrangle myself out of this pity party than with a nice, comforting batch of....


Lemon curd?

Yes, by Jove! Lemon curd! For those of you without British grandmothers (apologies for what must have been a dull and love-less upbringing) or who are victims of just sheer ignorance, you should know that this curd, this lovely curd, is one of the most beloved treats of yours truly.

Why should you care? Because this is my blog and I say so, that's why. 


For those of you who think: this stuff is so good when I get it from a jar! Why should I bother?

Hmmm, with that logic, why cook at all? Go grab yourself some ground-up cow and a box of your new best friend, Hamburger Helps-you-Vomit, and you've got yourself a grand ole' party for....well, just you, because no one will want to speak to you again.

This recipe, courtesy of Martha with a couple of tweaks by moi, is extremely easy and delicious. I use it for cake fillings (it's nothing like those gross, grocery-store made lemon cake monstrosities with the corn-starch enriched sugar fest stuffed inside) or folded in with whipped cream for a mousse-like heaven. Perfect in Martha's Stone-Fruit Trifle (recipe here) or on top of pancakes. Or on a spoon. Or your finger.

So let's get crack-a-lackin'!

You will need:

1/4 c + 2T granulated sugar
4 egg yolks
2 T bourbon
2 t lemon zest (chopped fine!)
1/4 c + 2 T lemon juice
Pinch salt
6 T butter (embrace the fat, it is your friend)

In a small/medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the sugar, yolks, bourbon, juice, and salt over medium high heat. 

Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and let cook for 3-5 minutes. 

It will look like bubbling yellow lava. Pass through a strainer into a bowl (this may seem minor, but it makes for a much, much smoother final result). 


Add zest and butter, stirring until butter has melted. Place in a shallow bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic onto the top of the curd.

Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Eat directly out of bowl with no utensils (I told you to make it a shallow bowl!)

Or, as I did, put it inside a yellow cupcake and top with lime cream cheese frosting and a candied lime peel:


To answer your question: yes, it was amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment