Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hummus Shmummus!

After making such a splendid batch of pesto it seemed like a royal shame to have it sit alone in the fridge without a playmate. Being the generous and obliging soul I am, I decided that hummus would be a fitting companion. So I went to work.  And do you know what I discovered?  Do you know what hit me over the head like a drunken polar bear as I licked my greedy little fingers clean of chick-pea delight? This simple beast is not so simple. It's a real JERK sometimes.

I can never seem to imitate it, and that scares me.

What do they put in that stuff? Sabra, Trader Joe's, whoever-- I am at a major loss here, people.  I want it so bad and it's supposed to be easy enough for a blind chipmunk to make, but it never seems to taste as good as the store-bought.  I liked mine just fine and it was amazing with the pesto, folded up in a wrap with some spinach. But it lacked that thing. That missing link.  Find it I shall!

In case you want my recipe (why wouldn't you after the above delivery of its merits) here you GO!



1 can chick peas
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 t salt
2 T olive oil
3 T water
2 T lemon juice
3 T tahini

Roast the garlic in a little tin foil pouch with some olive oil at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.



Peel and puree with the chick peas in a food processor until very smooth.



It is very important to do this without adding any liquid because it eliminates the possibility of chunky nonsense.  If you're into that sort of thing then, by all means, throw everything in and hope for the best.  Toss a prayer up to increase your chances of success.

Once the peas and garlic are smooth add the other ingredients and puree some more.  Feel free to add more garlic, a touch of cayenne, pesto, or a different type of bean (cannellini are quite tasty). 

Contribute helpful hints, if you have them.  Hummus is an all time favorite of this young lass and it shames me to buy it at the store.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I didn't know that about not adding the liquid at that point --- when exactly do you add the olive oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can add the olive oil with the rest of the liquids! Or you can stream it in after the chick peas are smooth. The world is your oyster!

    ReplyDelete